Auxiliary Services Officer II (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 3
Directorate: Conservation Gardens & Tourism Division
SANBI is seeking to appoint a hardworking and self-motivated individual to do customer service and sales at the Kirstenbosch Plant Production Nursery on a permanent basis as an Auxiliary Services Officer II.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of a hardworking and self-motivated individual to do customer service and sales at the Kirstenbosch Plant Production Nursery, as well as assist in the production of plants and the maintenance of the nursery and in all its various functions.
The appointment requires a candidate with a Grade 10 and a minimum 2 years’ relevant nursery experience, preferably production/wholesale – not retail. The incumbent must have excellent indigenous plant knowledge and experience in growing plants as this is a key responsibility of the job. The applicant also needs to have basic experience in invoicing, quoting, and simple administration as well as sound interpersonal, the ability to communicate in English (read and write). It is a requirement for a person in this position to be accurate and competent in handling money, readily accept responsibility and be accountable.
It will be advantageous if the incumbent has some experience in customer service and sales and also if in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license with at least one year’s driving experience.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team. The applicant must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools. The incumbent may have to perform weekend, public holiday and standby duties as and when required.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Growing of plants and provide quality plant care (potting, pruning, weeding, watering, feeding, pest and hygiene management) as well as being able to demonstrate a very good knowledge of indigenous plants;
- Provide good customer service and sales when communicating and dealing with internal and external customers; attending to the nursery, production and sales related queries, as well as do sales and related admin functions (invoicing, quoting, faxing, pricing etc.);
- Attend to general nursery tasks by maintaining the nursery, all its structures and ensure a high standard of hygiene;
- Provide care and maintenance of tools and equipment and effective re-cycling of various materials in nursery such as pots, soil etc.;
- Compliance with the Health and Safety policy.
SANBI offers an annual salary of R100 545.00 with additional fringe benefits.
- An application form (obtainable from our Offices or Kirstenbosch NBG or SANBI website www.sanbi.org.za/jobs or apply online) must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.All applications will be considered with the understanding that in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Zena Appollis on 021 799 8647/8800 or preferably, forward the completed application form (available from firstname.lastname@example.org) together with a motivational letter, certified copies of qualifications and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com or fax 086 589 9569. Postal applications are to be addressed to the Assistant Director: Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X7, Claremont, 7735.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their application unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.