Call for submissions to conduct the Biodiversity Science & Policy Advice External Review
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) hereby calls for an expression of interest from experts to serve on the External Review Team for SANBI’s Biodiversity Science and Policy Advice (BS&PA) programme of work.
The External Review Team will focus on the performance of SANBI’s BS&PA programmes towards achievement of its mandate and strategic objectives during the past ten years, and will form an important part of SANBI’s organizational learning process into the future and shape new initiatives.
The External Review Team will comprise of two experts from South Africa and one international expert. The team will include a senior expert with evaluation experience who will be appointed as the team leader. The experts will be selected for their personal expertise and will not represent their organizations. The experts will be paid an honorarium of R 3,000.00 per day. The review will be commencing from the 8th May and must be completed by 30th June 2017. The programme is envisaged to be as follows:
- 2 Days – Review of documents and preparation, at own location
- 5 Days – Interviews from 15 May to 19 May 2017 at SANBI
- 3 Days - Report write up, at own location
- 1 Day - Integration of final comments
- 2 Days – Lead Expert to write up final report and present to Management and Board (date to be confirmed)
The interviews will take place at SANBI Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden in Cape Town and at the Pretoria National Botanical Gardens in Pretoria.
Experts will be selected to ensure that the External Review Team has a balance of expertise and diversity. The composition of the team will need to meet the criteria below. While individual members may not meet all of the criteria, the team as a whole should meet all of the criteria.
- Scientific expertise in biodiversity (systematics and general ecological sciences), as evidenced by measures such as a comprehensive track record of scientific publication, and national or international recognition for scientific achievement
- Experience in promoting and incorporating the use of science in ecosystem management and/ or policy development processes
- Experience in human capital development for the biodiversity sector as evidenced by successful management and development of large research groups and skills development programmes
- Understanding of the national and international science and policy context in the areas related to biodiversity, as evidenced by membership or participation in national or international science bodies or review or advisory panels or steering committees
- An understanding of the policy and institutional environment in the biodiversity sector
- Gender and racial balance will be considered
Travel and accommodation will be arranged and costs will be covered by SANBI. Experts are invited to send their detailed CV’s indicating their specific field of expertise together with a covering letter. CV’s can either be sent electronically to email@example.com or mailed to SANBI, Private Bag X7, Claremont, 7735, marked for attention Head of Branch: Biodiversity Science & Policy Advice. Please ensure that the required information reaches us by the close of business on the 24 February 2016. The terms of reference for the Biodiversity Science and Policy Advice External Review can be found on the SANBI website: http://www.sanbi.org/ . PS. Please confirm if you are registered / registering on the Central Supplier Database of National Treasury.