Chief Herbarium Technician (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 08
Directorate/Project: Biosystematics Research and Biodiversity Collections
South African National Biodiversity (SANBI) is looking for an efficient and enthusiastic individual to provide a scientific and technical support services in Herbarium management, selected Herbarium functions and services, and participation in research activities.
The position requires the candidate to have a BSc in Botany/Plant Sciences enhanced by minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience with evidence of technical experience in Herbarium curation techniques and database operation. The incumbent must have a sound knowledge of South African flora and plant taxonomy, and be computer literate.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Scientific curation – Scientific curation of selected families in a section of the National Herbarium; Verification of information and identification of specimens and records in the specimen database; Correcting and updating of specimen and records in the specimen database.
- Scientific services – Plant identification of selected families in a section of the National Herbarium.
- Scientific information compilations – Compiling scientific information for e-Flora and other articles.
- Digitization – Quality control of information of specimen labels.
SANBI offers an annual salary of R 262 272.00 and additional fringe benefits.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Mzekelo Mpatani on 012 843 5229 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to email@example.com or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Assistant Director - Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.