Curator/Manager – Compton Herbarium (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 12
Division: Biosystematics & Collections
SANBI is seeking to appoint an energetic, motivated individual with proven strategic leadership skills and abilities to provide effective management of collections and infrastructure. This is a permanent position as the Curator/Manager of the Compton Herbarium.
The South African National Botanical Garden is looking for an energetic, motivated individual with proven strategic leadership skills and abilities to provide effective management of collections and infrastructure, including biosystematics data content and quality control; to lead and guide in curation and research on a component of the Southern African flora; manage the implementation of the Strategic and Annual Performance Plans as they relate to the Compton Herbarium collections; manage resources and mentor staff in the Compton Herbarium.
Prospective applicants must be in possession of a MSc (preferably a PhD) in plant taxonomy or related plant sciences with at least 8 years proven experience in collections management. Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written), including report writing and ability to maintain sound interpersonal relationships. Working knowledge of BRAHMS or related biodiversity data management, proficiency in Micro Soft Office and a valid (unendorsed) Code B driver’s License are all essential.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Lead and manage the curation of Compton Herbarium collections according to best practices, standards, procedures and policies and to set targets in Divisions’ Annual Performance Plan and Corporate Strategic Plan;
- Lead management and quality control of Biosystematics data content;
- Administer cost centre and ensure project management;
- Manage and coordinate the provision of Herbarium services such as identifications;
- Conduct relevant research and lead in building human capital;
- Ensure employees work in a healthy and safe environment and compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Act.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary of R726 276.00 with additional fringe benefits.
- An application form (obtainable from SANBI website www.sanbi.org/jobs or apply online) must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Glynnis Webb on 021 799 8635/8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if further information is required.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.