Marine Biodiversity Coordinator (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 11
Directorate: Biodiversity Research, Assessment and Monitoring
SANBI is seeking to appoint an energetic, highly motivated individual to support the National Biodiversity Assessment-Marine Component and provide SANBI input at key interdepartmental and intergovernmental working group meetings, cross-cutting initiatives (such as climate change) and other areas to identify and address national marine biodiversity priorities. This is a permanent position as Marine Biodiversity Coordinator.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for an energetic, highly motivated individual to support the National Biodiversity Assessment-Marine Component and provide SANBI input at key interdepartmental and intergovernmental working group meetings, cross-cutting initiatives (such as climate change) and other areas to identify and address national marine biodiversity priorities. The incumbent will provide management and technical support through engagement in working groups, effective financial management and project administration, management of junior staff, and support for effective liaison with government, research, industry and public stakeholders.
Prospective applicants must be in possession of a Masters in Science or Environmental Management enhanced by minimum 5 years proven experience in the marine sector. Other requirements are technical work such as communication of biodiversity priorities, scientific advice (with input from scientists), problem solving and input on biodiversity policy. Sound programme management, co-ordination, networking and communication skills including report writing, are essential, as well as experience of staff management. The incumbent must have excellent administrative, organizational skills, office management skills including financial planning and management of procurement issues and assets. The successful candidate must also be in possession of a valid (unendorsed) code B driver’s license.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Manage and support the implementation of the annual programme of work for SANBI’s Marine Programme (Includes - budget planning and management, office and staff management, and procurement management);
- Arranging and attending meetings, networking and communicating with a large number and diverse group of science, government, industry and NGO stakeholders;
- Provision of science based policy advice, draft policy comments submitted to Marine Programme Manager;
- Represent SANBI and SANBI Marine Programme at working group meetings, internal committees and cross cutting working groups and internal and external task teams. (provide input, report on progress, problem solving and coordinating input);
- Establishment and monitoring all project contracts, MOU’s/MOA’s on a spreadsheet and milestones and payments to be tracked. This staff member will work closely with the new administrator that supports this program;
- Compilation of information for project reports, the marine programme quarterly reports and other reports.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary of R612 822.00.
- An application form (obtainable from SANBI website www.sanbi.org/jobs or apply online) must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Glynnis Webb on 021 799 8635/8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if further information is required.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.