Operations Manager (Contract position)
Salary Level: 10
Directorate: Climate Change Adaptation
SANBI is seeking to appoint a highly motivated individual to provide operational support and oversight in ensuring partner compliance with grant conditions across the portfolio of SANBI’s climate finance projects under the Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund. On a contract period of 5 years as the Operations Manager.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is seeking to appoint a highly motivated individual to provide operational support and oversight in ensuring partner compliance with grant conditions across the portfolio of SANBI’s climate finance projects under the Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund. The portfolio is currently USD 10 million, and is expected to expand to USD 110 million over the next three years.
This appointment requires the candidate to be in possession of an undergraduate degree in development studies/environmental management/public administration/business administration/communication or equivalent and enhanced by at least 5 years’ relevant working experience. This position also requires experience in grant management, project management, training and development and an understanding of the context of social and economic development in South Africa. It would advantageous to have experience with supply chain and financial management processes in the public sector.
The successful candidate should have excellent spoken and written command of English, good organisational, coordination, interpersonal and teamwork skills, experience with MS Office and an ability to work well with stakeholders. Possession of a valid Code EB driver's license with at least one year's driving experience is compulsory. This position also requires a candidate to be willing to travel nationally.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Provide operational support to ensure compliance with the operational policies of the Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund, including the management of Environmental and Social risk;
- Manage and oversee quarterly and annual technical reporting and review processes;
- Support executing partners and grantees to understand how to apply donor safeguards and other grant conditions; and,
- Provide ad hoc support to SANBI’s Climate Change Adaptation Directorate as needed.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary package of R533 128.65.
- An application form (obtainable from our Offices or SANBI website www.sanbi.org must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Glynnis Webb on 021 799 8635/8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if further information is required.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.