Science Communications Officer (2 year part - time contract – 5 hours per day) (Contract position)
Salary Level: 9
Directorate/Project: Foundational Biodiversity Information Programme
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, responsible team player to lead the implementation of the Foundational Biodiversity Information Programme (FBIP) Communication Strategy through the production of various materials and participation in relevant activities.
The appointment requires a relevant 3 year degree in Biological Sciences, followed by course/s in science communication/journalism enhanced by at least 2 years’ experience in producing articles for electronic or print media on biological science research related issues and using social media (setting up Facebook page and Twitter account and regular postings using these media).
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Produce and publish short popular articles on research projects funded through the FBIP.
- Set up Facebook pages and Twitter accounts for FBIP (including for postgraduate network), and ensure that relevant materials are posted here and on the FBIP website.
- Produce text and source images for promotional materials for the FBIP (infographics, brochures, posters etc).
- Participate in relevant forums/exhibitions/science festivals to promote the FBIP.
- Develop and implement mechanisms to monitor impact of communication efforts
Furthermore the suitable candidate must have the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and have highly effective verbal and written communication capabilities. Proficiency in MS Office is also a specific requirement for this post. The successful candidate must be in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license, as well as be willing to travel.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary package of R 266 965.05.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A Skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Stephen Mahlangu on 012 843 5217 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to email@example.com or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Assistant Director - Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.