Senior Machine Operator (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 03
Directorate/Project: KwaZulu-Natal National Botanical Garden
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of a hardworking and self-motivated individual to render support to the maintenance and development of garden grounds and estates.
The successful candidate must have had training in being a brush cutter operator or have a certificate in horticultural machinery and sound interpersonal skills. The ability to communicate in English (read, and write) and having a keen interest in gardening are specific requirements, as well as 1-2 years’ relevant experience working with machinery.
The candidate must have experience working with power machinery. Working to a high standard to keep all areas worked maintained and tidy in accordance with good health and safety policies. The candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Maintain long grass around poles, trees banks and edging of flowerbeds.
- Identify and manual or chemically remove the unwanted plants, weeds and aliens on the estate
- Act in a professional and responsible manner towards customers(including supervisors, team members or visitors)
- Manage stock and ensure compliance with control.
- Comply with basic Health and Safety regulations.
- Identify possible risks (fire, theft, pollution, Invasive weeds, security problems and dangerous animals to the Garden/Nursery.
The applicant must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools which require physical labour and working outdoors, sometimes under adverse conditions as well as working with chemicals that may be poisonous/ toxic. The incumbent is expected to work overtime, including Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays and standby duties as and when required.
SANBI offers a salary of R100 545 per annum and additional fringe benefits, which include attractive medical and pension schemes.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Ethel Mokgoko on 012 843 5214 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to email@example.com or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Assistant Director - Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.